Between the fifth and seventh month of life, most children taste the first spoonful of porridge. The new nutrition provides the body with all the important nutrients that are now difficult to obtain from milk. The diet expands significantly, while the risk of food poisoning and the development of an allergic reaction increases. What can not be given to the baby and what foods are the most dangerous?
Prohibited products for children of the first year of life
Sometimes, even a small amount of an undesirable substance leads to problems in the gastrointestinal tract. When compiling a children’s menu, do not forget to exclude:
No cow’s milk. The composition of cow’s milk is not suitable for the first feeding due to the high protein content that causes an allergic reaction.
Kefir and sour cream. The concentration of protein in these products is even higher than in normalized cow’s milk, its high level can cause kidney problems.
You can not cheese and cottage cheese from unpasteurized milk, raw eggs. Unprocessed foods can contain salmonella, which leads to various health complications.
Sausages. Many varieties contain large amounts of fat, spices and nitrite to improve storage. Homemade sausages without salt are welcome.
Fish. Stay away from large marine fish such as tuna or swordfish as they are often contaminated with mercury. Choose small fish that are high in healthy fat.
Honey. May contain the specific bacterium Clostridium Botulinum that causes botulism. The disease rarely develops, but up to a year and a half, the gastrointestinal tract is not mature enough to fight the bacterium.
What should not be eaten by children under one year of plant foods? Sour, salty and pickled – they are definitely not the best choice for first courses and this is worth remembering. Other foods that should not be given before one year:
Legumes. The intestines and digestive tract are just learning to work with new food. Legumes, as well as leeks, will be quite a serious burden for them.
Sour fruits and vegetables. A large amount of acid in the diet leads to abdominal pain – kiwi, oranges and tomatoes should be in a minimum amount until the end of the year.
Salted and pickled cucumbers. Excess salt puts a tremendous burden on a fragile body, especially on the functioning of the kidneys.
Mushrooms. Health experts say that mushrooms should be present in baby food after 10 years – the risk of severe poisoning and digestive disorders is too high.
Spices and flavorings
Another point that parents often forget about is the addition of spices to children’s meals. The kid does not need such excesses, since any product has its own unique aroma and taste.
Sweets. Sugar also belongs to products that should not be given to a baby under 12 months of age, despite the fact that the child has been familiar with it from birth from mother’s milk. Breast milk has a minimal sugar content, while undiluted juice, chocolate, and soft drinks increase it exponentially. A large number of sweets is fraught not only with caries, but also with the occurrence of cardiovascular diseases. In order to process sugar, the body uses the reserves of vitamin B, which is necessary for the healthy development of the heart, muscles and nervous system.
Artificial sweeteners. Acquaintance of a baby with cyclamate or saccharin is prohibited, since they can cause not only allergies, but also problems with the functioning of internal organs. The effect of sweeteners on a young body has not been fully studied, therefore, it is better not to take risks and also include them on the “no” list.
Salt. For adults, salt is a common flavor enhancer, but it has little to do on a child’s menu. Excessive salt intake adversely affects the functioning of the kidneys, use it rarely.
Spices. To a small gourmet, natural flavors are surprisingly inviting in themselves, even if it doesn’t seem so to an adult. Do not add any spices to your baby’s diet, some of them can cause an allergic reaction and stomach pain.
If your child does try an unwanted product, do not panic, make sure the child feels well, otherwise, consult a doctor.