When mommy sees a plump baby eating delicious porridge, her soul is filled with joy. The child eats, which means he will be healthy, full of energy and strength for development.
However, for the crumbs, the next meal does not seem to be an advantage. He will eat fruit puree, but in fact, he has better things to do. It is much more interesting to study a new toy, climb into a closet, run after a cat … And only when tired, a feeling of hunger comes through, which will allow him to sit quietly at the dinner table.
Everything changes when a child enters a children’s group. A little kid, as if by magic, empties the plates in kindergarten.
Why does a child eat only in kindergarten – reasons
1. Kindergarten has a predictable daily routine. No one offers a cup of milk or fruit while walking and playing, and pre-meal routines help to smoothly transition from activity to a more relaxed state.
2. Teachers in kindergartens set clear expectations and boundaries for behavior at mealtimes. The child knows that now is the time for food and will not be able to eat for several hours, so he tries to get enough at the hour allotted for this.
3. Most preschoolers look at each other. When everyone eats, others repeat after them. Although not all children tend to copy their peers, there is research to support this idea – if a friend eats a vegetable, then the baby is more likely to eat it too.
4. Usually in kindergarten there is no separate table with snacks. Children eat only what they are offered. At home, you can get to your favorite treat by substituting a high chair or simply opening the cabinet door. In addition, sometimes ordinary requests work, not strict parents can treat a demanding capricious person to not even the most useful, but tasty product that worsens appetite. In kindergarten, food is a healthy diet based on WHO recommendations, where there is no place for snacks.
5. In kindergarten, up to 4 different foods are usually served at mealtimes, which gives the baby a choice. Thus, you can get a report that he ate well even if he ate part of the main course.
6. Many children eat better at the beginning of the day, “loading” their body with the necessary calories for the whole day. For this reason, they eat poorly at noon, and at home refuse dinner.
7. Hunger usually comes with physical activity and emotional experiences, while at home it is more calm.
8. In kindergarten, they don’t force you to eat, but at home, on the contrary, pressure dynamics are often observed. Stress during eating impairs appetite and creates a habit of stubbornly refusing food at home. For a small child, the environment in the kindergarten may be more relaxing, based on which he eats better in the children’s team.
The child eats in the kindergarten, but not at home – how to fix it
The only way to improve the situation is to change the attitude towards food. Let the baby eat exactly as much as he wants. Don’t worry about variety on the table. If your child only likes cabbage, offer it daily. A little time will pass and he will ask for a different kind of vegetables.
Never scold because of poor appetite. After all, no child has yet gone on a hunger strike. He won’t eat now, he will dine more densely, but it’s important to follow the rule here – no snacking between planned meals.
Find out from the teacher the daily routine, what time the children have breakfast, lunch and dinner, try to stick to this schedule at home. If the child eats only breakfast, make sure that the meal includes meat or eggs, vegetables and fruits, as in this case, porridge will not be enough.
Don’t worry about your baby refusing new food. For example, he does not want to eat berries or does not share the family love for zucchini. Expansion of gastronomic horizons will come a little later.