The problem is more often related to elementary school, since at this time all neurological abnormalities are identified and treated, and an intensive development of the skill is underway. What to do if a student does not read well, what are the reasons for this?
The child does not read well – possible factors
The development of the baby begins in the mother’s tummy, so the reasons should be sought from the very beginning. Pregnancy is the most crucial time, as the formation of the brain and spinal cord, internal organs, and the nervous system is underway.
If the fetus suffered from hypoxia, the expectant mother was ill with an increase in body temperature, most likely, important areas of the brain and nervous system responsible for reading and assimilation of information were damaged.
In addition, the cause is a difficult birth, low physical activity of the child, poor motor skills, neglect of communication with the baby. The most famous reasons why a child does not read well:
- wrong education system – it is difficult for a student to cope with the school curriculum
- specific learning difficulties – dyslexia, dysorthography, dysgraphia
- speech development disorder
- hearing or vision problems
- attention deficit hyperactivity disorder
- emotional disorders – depression, anxiety, school phobia , post-traumatic shock.
Before improving the reading skill, it is necessary to accurately determine the factor that interferes with the correct development in this area. The child may need appropriate treatment, which will quickly lead to success.
If a gradual decrease in reading speed is noticed, the reason may also be self-doubt. Help your child overcome fears, try to instill that poor reading is not a sign of a lagging behind, but only a temporary difficulty that can be overcome with regular exercise.
Fear of failure in Literature class leads to physical illnesses such as abdominal pain and nausea.
These are the first signs that the student’s difficulties are being ignored by adults, there is no support, or parents are setting the bar high for school grades.
There may be no health problems, in which case the child develops according to its own genetic plan, but a visit to a specialist is still required, since the baby could inherit a latent disorder.
The child reads slowly – what does it mean?
The main symptoms are identified on the reading technique, which takes into account the speed, expressiveness of speech, the number and type of errors made, and understanding of the text. Each class and semester has its own technical standards, small deviations are a variant of the norm:
- first grade – 40 words per minute
- second – 60 words
- third – 80 words
- fourth – 100 words
Experts divide reading errors into different groups. There are children who read quickly, but do not understand the meaning of the text, then functional illiteracy is suspected.
If a student confuses similar letters, syllable order, this may be a sign of normal fatigue, and in the worst case, dyslexia or dysgraphia.
Inventing word endings is professionally referred to as grammatical errors indicating dyslexia.
Reading problems – how to help a child?
Observe the child whether there is a regression or vice versa, a slow but improvement. The smooth development of technology is a good sign that the child is more healthy than sick. Deterioration, even minor – a reason to see a doctor for an accurate diagnosis.
To speed up slow reading in a healthy primary school student, it is enough to conduct a special lesson every day for 10-15 minutes.
Educational therapy not only solves this problem, but also improves other important components, such as visual memory, concentration.
It also motivates to learn, has a positive effect on the perception of information. Exercises to help:
- Dividing words into syllables
- Reading syllables depicted on paper and screen with alternating font size – from smaller to larger and vice versa
- Reading syllables of 3 – 4 letters for a while
- Parsing long words, and then reading with the parent
- Reading words with only a certain letter or syllable
- Information retelling
- Composing your own short works and recording them
- Search for letters, words of the native language among the foreign
- Acquaintance with poems, selection of rhymes
- Unhurried reading of the text by roles, highlighting the intonation of the characters
- Daily study of long words for 15 minutes
- Answers to adult questions after listening to the text.
In addition to the above, you can purchase books compiled for this purpose, ask a teacher to work with a child or hire a tutor.
During classes, it is important to take into account the mood of the student, if he does not want to study, the result will be minimal.
Turn on the imagination, exercise in the form of a fun game or with moving elements will greatly improve the desire to learn to read as quickly as peers at school.