The quality of education varies significantly in different school institutions, and the main character traits and knowledge are acquired by the child at this particular age, when the time comes to meet the first call. That is why the choice of a school for a child is an important decision that affects his whole life.
How to choose a high school – private or public
Today, public and private schools are available in our country, visiting them, you will surely notice a different approach to teaching. Also, private schools differ in the number of students in the class – this is no more than twenty people, while in the state figure it reaches thirty-five. Accordingly, the fewer children, the higher the likelihood of individual attention. However, not all families are ready to pay for education in a private school, and its location is not always close to home. Here you should weigh all the pros and cons well.
If there is a good educational institution near the house, then the question of how to choose a school for a first grader will disappear, but do not forget that the teacher plays the main role in the comfort of the future student. Hence the recommendation – pay attention to the character, experience of the teacher.
What to look for when choosing a school
Of course, the comfort of the parents is also important. There are cases when high requisitions forced a student to “take away” even from good teachers, therefore, the first thing to do is to study the reviews on the regional family website. The transmitted personal experience forms a general idea of the leadership, composition of teachers, attitude towards parents and children. Also, ask experienced moms how to choose a school.
If you have already marked an institution for yourself, ask if it is as good as you think or hear. Be guided by more than one opinion, because the situation with the school is different and you will not immediately understand who is right
The second action is to choose according to the overall impression after visiting. Take advantage of the open house. Below is a list of what to look for when wondering how to choose a school:
- geographical location – the closer the school is to home, the better, because the portfolios of current students are heavy, no one can guarantee a safe passage across the street, and in bad weather walking for 20 minutes is not very good. At the same time, scientists have proven that a morning walk has a beneficial effect on thinking, we recommend that you stretch the path to school in three steps, for ten minutes, to apply the benefits of the study. In addition, choosing a school close to home saves time.
- head – find out who is gaining the first grade this year, get to know each teacher personally
- experience and qualifications of the teacher – usually, this information is indicated on the school website, but it can also be found in the director’s office. The higher the experience of the selected teacher, the better for his wards, because he knows how to correctly, and most importantly, clearly present the rules regarding behavior and lessons.
- the maximum number of students allowed is twenty-five, but most schools are overcrowded and nothing can be done about it. Later, this knowledge will be useful to assess the advantages / disadvantages of the school.
- Homework – There is no formal homework assignment in first grade, but not everyone follows the law. Some teachers prefer to give simple tasks, such as coloring or writing a few lines in copybook. If you do not agree, this can be discussed with the teacher in advance.
- grades, student motivation – the first year of evaluation is not given, instead of them, teachers use incentives in the form of stickers. The following years, points are set depending on the work of the student and the methods of motivation by the head
- school equipment – look around the classroom, library, dining room, dressing room and gym. It is desirable that there are new windows, ceilings with no signs of roof leakage, otherwise, you will have to pay certain amounts for repairs.
- extracurricular activities – the choice of school is impossible without this item. Going to the cinema, excursions, holding holidays and various events, additional circles will make your child’s life interesting and will contribute to the desire to visit the institution
- teaching foreign languages - which foreign languages are acceptable for learning, who teaches them, is the class divided into groups
- child psychologist – do not forget to ask about the presence of a psychologist within the institution, so you do not have to look for a specialist for a long time resolving a school conflict
- approach to the disabled – how such children are monitored, is it allowed to teach children with disabilities in this particular school among healthier students
- participation in projects – what the school actively supports, for example, military-patriotic or sports education
- additional expenses – the amount of fees for the need and the general fund of the school
- curriculum – if you decide to choose a private school, this information is very useful, because sometimes the curriculum is different from the state. standard
- parental involvement – what activities do parents participate in, how mandatory is it, are you willing to devote your time to them
- communication with parents – how the teacher communicates important news, whether he sends a weekly newsletter about grades, how often meetings are held
When thinking about how to choose a school for a first-grader, it is advisable to read the annual report of the department of education, which indicates the activities, budget, and qualifications of teachers in each school in your area.
Decades ago, parents didn’t have as many options for collecting information as they do today, so take the time to choose and make the right decision, remember that the child will most likely not leave this school during the entire period of secondary education.