What is family education? Education at home is gaining more and more popularity, and it is not surprising that an individual approach to the student contributes to a deeper study of the topic in accordance with interests, in addition, the child at home education gets more free time.
Types of homeschooling
There are two types of home education, the first is related to medical indications, and the second is related to the desire of the parents. Both methods are slightly different. Acquiring knowledge at home for most children with disabilities is the only chance to get a diploma.
In this case, the school does not have the right to refuse to accept the child. The educational institution provides the family with all the necessary materials, and teachers visit the student daily, help him master the material and check his homework.
Home schooling at the request of parents in the chosen school is not always possible, some institutions do not have such an opportunity in their charter, so you will have to look for it. As in the case of the first situation, the student is supported with educational materials, but teachers do not visit the family and do not check assignments.
The child studies according to a strictly drawn up plan, and then passes tests, the results of which decide whether he will continue to study at home. Regardless of education, an adult must make every effort to ensure that the “home student” completes the curriculum on time and successfully passes the test papers.
The family may not follow the rules, such as school uniforms, 45 minutes of class time, and five minutes of rest, but completing the daily quota of assignments is mandatory.
Why Parents Choose Homeschooling
Homeschooling is chosen for a variety of reasons. Some parents prefer this option for religious or ideological reasons, they do not want their child to face inequality in society or fall under the bad influence of peers.
Others regard the traditional school as a “routine”, where students receive the necessary minimum, and there is little time left for a more complete study of the topic. There are also people who see the potential of their child and do not want the development of his intellect to be limited in some way.
Another group is those who are used to “adapting” the educational material to the child, taking into account the pace and way of perceiving information. The most common argument is communication, very often mom and dad are simply not ready to part with their beloved child for many hours, and they are sure that the teacher will not be able to become a caring “analogue” of the parent.
Perhaps the main advantage is an individual approach. Only you know with the help of what methods the child will understand the topic faster and more efficiently and how long the student will endure motionless sitting. Other clear benefits:
- learning continues while traveling
- all available media can be used, such as books, the Internet, magazines and television
- homeschooling fits the family’s worldview and protects against inappropriate behavior
- Poor academic performance is nearly impossible due to adult supervision
- sensitive children are not harassed by peers and humiliated by teachers
- the child is more disciplined because he receives more attention than the children in the class
- close relationship between the child and parents, contributes to a strong family bond.
In our country, no studies have been conducted on the level of development of domestic children, but American educators note that as adults, home pupils are more open, more likely to participate in various activities and are happy to act as volunteers.
Previously, the biggest drawback was the lack of any support and understanding from society. Now, thematic groups in social networks, forums and sites are available to us.
However, it is still difficult to achieve understanding of other parents, and even teachers, because, in their opinion, the child is deprived of the main thing – communication with peers. The most popular factors that make you doubt it:
- time and personal needs of adults – homeschooling is only fun when it brings pleasure to the whole family
- fatigue, discouragement and problems make creative learning difficult and ultimately impossible
- unpreparedness for creative mess – often there is not enough time to clean the room where classes are held
- stress related to upcoming tests – if adults constantly worry about this, it can lead to a nervous breakdown
School is “adult life” in miniature, where the child learns to independently resolve conflicts, compromise, take care of their interests and experience healthy competition.
Opponents of homeschooling also point to insufficient communication with peers, which can adversely affect adaptation in any team. To avoid this problem, provide the student with additional circles, such as dancing, drawing, or a sports section.
Be confident in your choice
Sometimes, guardians overestimate their abilities, it is especially difficult in the middle grades, when adults get tired of the school routine, and it is difficult for the child to understand new lessons. It is also difficult for those people who go to work every day, leaving a young student at home alone, hoping that he will open the textbooks and solve the problem without their presence.
It is good if he is independent, assiduous and responsible. And if not? Then a lot of problems arise, and one of them is poor progress, which will definitely manifest itself during the control check.
The child will fail, begin to blame himself and acquire complexes for life. In addition, precious time will be lost, and parents will have to devote precious moments of rest to studying school materials.
Communities and Homeschooling Materials:
- The first portal about out-of-school education
- Interactive student help
- Vkontakte family education group
- The experience of a father of four homeschooled children
- You can download textbooks here
- Children and science – video
- Khan Academy – Video lessons in mathematics, physics, history, medicine with a creative approach.
The choice is always difficult, especially when it comes to the well-being of the child. Compare all the pros and cons, collect information on the forums so that the solution works in your favor.